Carol Dweck has revealed that your mindset can be a powerful determinant of whether or not you will persist towards goals especially in the face of setback. There are fundamentally two different mindsets that we develop in our early years:
- A fixed mindset refers to the belief that your character, creativity, intelligence and performance is pre-determined and static, i.e., that you are born with a particular set of capabilities that are unchanging.
- A growth mindset, on the other hand, is the belief that those qualities can be developed and cultivated with consistent effort.
1. Start using the word ‘yet’.I can’t do this… YET. I’m not much of a runner…. YET. I’m not very good at selling myself… YET. Feel the difference a simple ‘yet’ makes to your ideas about yourself and your capabilities.
2. Remember progress not perfection.A growth mindset celebrates every small step towards achieving a positive change and uses feedback as a springboard for growth; whereas a fixed mindset assumes getting it right “first time, every time” is the only option or you might as well throw in the towel.
3. Unhook from criticism and praiseIf you have a fixed mindset you rely on external approval for validation of your ability and see criticism as evidence of your inadequacy or failure. There is no room for taking risks and stretching yourself if you are hooked on criticism and praise.
4. Celebrate effort, not talentOur culture and media tend to glorify ‘natural talent’ and we love an overnight success story. This has the effect of making the hard work of success seem not very fun or sexy. Remember that there is no such thing as an overnight success, only committed, determined action.
5. Learn to love the processA fixed mindset is very attached to outcomes. Achieving a goal validates their self-worth. Goals are great but achieving them often involves a few setbacks along the way! A growth mindset enjoys the experience. There will be ups and downs, but every setback is useful feedback, not a dead-end or a reason to quit. This article first appeared in the online member community of www.tiffxo.com ]]>
Join my inner circle
I’m excited to be offering a small group, intensive coaching program for women who are ready to hone in on their unique strengths, get more clarity around what matters most in life and UPLEVEL the joy, meaning, and sense of purpose in their lives. If this sounds like what you need right now, you can get your name on the waitlist and I’ll be in touch with more details soon.